High school science teachers are encouraged to apply for the 2018 NIEHS Science, Teachers and Research Summer (STaRS) Experience. STaRS is a two-week professional development (PD) program, designed and conducted by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS).
The goals of the PD are:
- To enhance participants’ understanding of basic research in environmental/biomedical sciences; and
- To enable participants to transfer knowledge received from this program into classroom applications and better serve their students, including those from underserved populations.
The program will be held at NIEHS in Research Triangle Park and will run from Monday, July 9, to Friday, July 20 (excluding Saturday and Sunday), 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. STaRS participants are expected to attend the full two-week program. Participants will conduct biomedical research investigations in laboratories and will learn from NIEHS scientists and guest speakers from local universities about various issues in biomedical and environmental sciences, such as environmental triggers of diseases, translation of basic research to clinical application, gene editing, genetically modified organisms and bioethics. In addition, teachers will use what they have learned from this PD to develop classroom projects. To offset costs associated with lodging, meals, transportation and time spent during the two-week program, participants will receive a $2,000 stipend, coordinated and disbursed by NCABR. The stipend will be provided in two equal payments, which will be disbursed each week of the program.
- Applicants must currently teach science in a North Carolina high school;
- Applicants must be available for the full two-week program (July 9-20, excluding Saturday and Sunday); and
- Applicants must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel to Research Triangle Park (which may include overnight stays at a hotel in Research Triangle Park on Sunday through Thursday each week).
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 14, 2018.